Slumberjack Flannel Cakes
Because today’s a “holiday,” I figured I had time to make sure that recipe mentioned in the last post was a “go-ahead.” I have to say, I believe this is the case.
Protein Slumberjack Flannel Cakes
What you go’n need (serves one; can be doubled and tripled proportionately)
- 1/4 cup of whole oats (not instant)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (Harmonized Vegan Vanilla - find this. Use it)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4-1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (Tempt’s Unsweetened Vanilla is my preference and I eyeball the amount until the batter is pancake-like)
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
What you go’n do:
- Start warming up your non-stick skillet (if you don’t have a non-stick skillet, make sure you use your oil of choice or Earth Balance to prevent the pancakes to keep from sticking).
- Throw all of your ingredients into a blender/food processor and process until it’s a batter (if your oats don’t come out completely smooth, it’s not a big deal as long as long as it’s not chunky).
- The next step is crucial: do not, I repeat do not, attempt to pour the better onto your skillet if it is not hot enough. Most pancakes fail because people fail to let the skillet heat enough. Try the drop of water test to make sure you’re at the right temperature (you know, sprinkle a drop of water on the skillet and if it sizzles/dances around, you’re good to go).
- Pour the batter and let the first side cook until it starts to bubble and the edges pull slightly - again, this is crucial - do not, do not, try and flip early or else you’re going to end up with mush. Two minutes is usually good enough.
- Flip, cook for another two minutes, plate, and repeat until the batter is gone.
- Top with your favorite syrup or nut-butter.
And, I must say, I have never made fatter pancakes than these.
- If your protein powder or non-dairy milk isn’t flavored, you can add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons of sugar to sweeten and add flavor.
- Feel free to press fruit, chocolate chips, or whatever your heart desires (within reason) as you’re cooking the first side. I usually go for blueberries or raspberries and top it all off with almond butter (I don’t like syrup).
- I haven’t tried this sans-protein powder but I have a feeling they’ll work just the same; if you try it without, let me know how it goes.